Preserve our past and protect our future
Give to Buckeye Ice: Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center Ice Core Facilities Renovation
ICE CORES HOLD THE KEY TO UNDERSTANDING OUR CHANGING ENVIRONMENT
The Byrd Center conducts world-class research in polar and alpine climate science. The Center’s facility houses 4.5 miles of ice core samples from around the globe, including some from glaciers that no longer exist, enabling researchers to better understand our past in a way that is directly affecting environmental and public health issues.
You can help our scientists preserve these essential ice core samples by giving to the Ice Core Facility Renovation Fund. This facility is over 30 years old and is in desperate need of renovation. Please click here to see images of the current state of the facility.
Your generosity will ensure we document Earth’s climate history while maintaining a frozen archive for the next generation of scientists.
Make your gift today.
Ice Core Facility Renovation Project | Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is Byrd raising funds for the Ice Core Renovation?
- How are ice cores used to study climate change?
- Is the study of climate science still important? Isn’t the link between greenhouse gasses (GHG) and climate change generally accepted today?
- What are the other uses of ice core data in addition to climate research?
- What is unique about the collection of ice cores stored at Byrd?
- How much more scientific information can be obtained from existing cores?
- How will maintaining these cores spur learning about climate risks?
- What is the remaining life span of the existing facility?
- What are the specifics of the renovation?
- The Thompsons, the septuagenarian couple who continue to rescue memories from the ice, ABC Science, June 19, 2022
- "Every time we visit the glaciers it is like seeing a cancer patient", El Correo, June 16, 2022
- This is how ice detectives work: "Climate change is the common enemy", El Mundo, June 15, 2022
- The climate watchdogs who have been reading glacier warnings for half a century, El Pais, June 11, 2022
- Undergraduate Student Government Letter to The Ohio State University Senior Leadership in Support of BPCRC
- Glacier ice samples act as records of climate change's impact on Earth, PBS News Hour, November 4, 2021
- 15,000-Year-Old Viruses Discovered in Tibetan Glacier Ice. Laura Arenschield. Ohio State News. June 28, 2021
- TEDxOhioStateUniversity: Horizons. Lonnie Thompson. March 13, 2021
- Climate Science, Part 1 (Data). QED with Dr. B. WOSU. February 17, 2021
- Byrd Advisory Board Joint Statement on Ice Core Facility Renovation. Byrd Center Advisory Board. November 2020
- Ohio State Scientists Seek Funds To Preserve Rare Ice Core Collection. Beth Burger. The Columbus Dispatch. November 13, 2020
- How the earth benefited from people staying home during pandemic. Mackenzie Bart. WBNS 10 News. October 28, 2020
- All Sides with Ann Fisher: The importance of the ice archives at the OSU Byrd Center. Ann Fisher. WOSU. October 27, 2020
- Getting to the core of climate change. Ohio State Impact. October 18, 2019