The education and outreach programs of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center focus on conveying the cutting-edge science of the Center’s research teams, improving geosciences education, and providing educational opportunities and technical expertise on climate change. Of special note over the past two years, the outreach team has received funding for two NSF-funded projects, begun work on a climate action plan for the City of Columbus, created extensive collaborations with the reinvigorated State Climate Office of Ohio, and built a bridge to the agricultural community through work with OSU Extension.
Outreach Programs of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center are supported by the following:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Science Foundation
- The Ohio State University
- Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center Education & Outreach Fund
In addition to the specific projects listed above, the Educaton and Outreach Group manages much of the public web content of the Center and its social media streams, produces quarterly newsletters, arranges brown bag talks and seminars, and communicates information via the Center's listservs. The Group also designs and updates displays for Center researchers, conducts facility tours and public programs, arranges speakers for off-site programs, produces graphical and video content, and works to establish collaborations both on and off-campus. The Education and Outreach Group works closely with the State Climate Office of Ohio.
2016 – 2018 Areas of Focus
- Communicate the science of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center.
- Improve educational materials and instruction in the Earth Sciences in both formal and informal settings.
- Communicate accurate and timely information about climate change and increase educational opportunities.
- Establish and grow strategic partnerships both on and off-campus.
- Provide quality opportunities for BPCRC affiliates to improve their teaching, outreach, and collaboration.
To received periodic updates from the Byrd Center, subscribe to one of our mailing lists or join us on social media.