We do our best to accommodate those who are interested in touring the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, whether it is for an intense scientific inquiry or simply to see what type of research goes on at the Center. Tours are appropriate for youth in at least fourth grade and should be requested at least one month in advance.
To find out if we can accommodate your group, please complete the request form.
- Tours for up to 50 people can be arranged according to the interests and backgrounds of your group.
- A tour of BPCRC allows your group to see the different facilities and to hear directly from some of the scientists who work at the center. They will give you background information on their area of expertise and explain some of the science behind their research.
- Typically, large groups are divided into 2 or 3 smaller groups, and a plan is devised to enable all members of the group to visit each session.
- We will structure the tour to address your group's needs. The time spent at the Byrd Center is usually two hours or less.
Visits by Byrd Center Researchers and Students
You may also want to consider having someone from the Byrd Center visit your classroom or group. Center researchers and students often make presentations outside our facility to groups of all ages.
To find out if we can accommodate your visit request, please complete the request form.
- Requests should be submitted at least one month in advance.
- We cannot guarantee a visit, but we do our best to accommodate all groups.
- There are limits to how far we can travel, but in these cases, we work to arrange a presentation remotely over Skype or Zoom.
- We do our best to send a speaker appropriate for the interests of your group.