Byrd Center Symposium
Climate Change Research at Ohio State
Friday, March 22, 2019
Byrd Polar & Climate Research Center
Scott Hall on West Campus
Student participation is strongly encouraged.
The Byrd Polar & Climate Research Center is pleased to announce the inaugural Byrd Center Symposium: Climate Change Research at Ohio State. The Symposium will gather all of the climate research here at OSU under one roof for a day in order to increase visibility of your research on campus and to help you connect with other OSU climate researchers. The Symposium will span the gamut of all climate, physical drivers of climate and the response of water and energy cycles, the impact of climate change, ways of thinking and talking about climate, and everything in between.
|Coffee||8:00 - 9:00 am|
|Welcome: Jan Weisenberger, Sr. Assoc. VP, Office of Research||9:00 - 9:05|
|Challenge: Lonnie Thompson||9:05 - 9:15|
|Physical Science Basis: Bryan Mark||9:15 - 9:30|
|Water Impacts: Margaret Kalcic||9:30 - 9:45|
|Energy Impacts: Jeff Bielicki||9:45 - 10:00|
|Biological Impacts: Andrea Grottoli||10:00 - 10:15|
|Public Health Impacts: Qinghua Sun||10:15 - 10:30|
|Coffee||10:30 - 10:45|
|Human Behavior: Robyn Wilson||10:45 - 11:00|
|Economics: Brent Sohngen||11:00 - 11:15|
|Policy and Law: Cinnamon Carlarne||11:15 - 11:30|
|Communications: Erik Nisbet||11:30 - 11:45|
|Art: Jacklyn Brickman||11:45 - 12:00 pm|
|Lunch||12:00 - 1:00|
|Climate Resources at Ohio State
||1:00 - 1:45|
|Keynote Presentation: Brent Christner, University of Florida, "Subglacial lake ecosystems beneath lower Mercer and Whillans Ice Streams, West Antarctica"||1:45 - 2:45|
|Coffee||2:45 - 3:00|
|Poster Session (Abstract List)||3:00 - 5:00|
|Reception||5:00 - 6:00|
Speaker Session Videos
Challenge: Lonnie Thompson
Physical Science Basis: Bryan Mark
Water Impacts: Margaret Kalcic
Energy Impacts: Jeff Bielicki
Biological Impacts: Andrea Grottoli
Public Health Impacts: Qinghua Sun
Human Behavior: Robyn Wilson
Economics: Brent Sohngen
Policy and Law: Cinnamon Carlarne
Communications: Erik Nisbet
Art: Jacklyn Brickman
Keynote Presentation: Brent Christner
Directions & Parking
The Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center
1090 Carmack Rd
Columbus, OH 43210
For detailed directions and parking information, visit:
Speaker Sessions | Seating
We have been overwhelmed with interest. As a result, we have exceeded our auditorium’s seating capacity. We are working hard to make sure that everyone has a chance to participate.
- Check-in will take place from 8:00 – 9:00 am, on Friday, March 22 at the entrance to Scott Hall
- Seating in our auditorium will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Additional seating will be available in the Byrd Center Learning Center and Goldthwait Polar Library (both in Scott Hall) to view a live-stream of the speaker sessions. Laptop charging will be available in these two spaces.
Speaker Sessions | Live-Stream
We will be live-streaming the speaker sessions, including the keynote presentation by Brent Christner.
- The Speaker Presentations will be available to live-stream at: https://byrd.osu.edu/symposium/live-stream.
Speaker Sessions | Question & Answer (Sli.do)
We are incorporating Sli.do into our question and answer sessions. Through Sli.do, all participants can submit questions to our speakers. Connect by using one of the following methods:
- Navigate to slido.com and type in the event code: #5006.
- Mobile users can download the Sli.do app, and use event code: #5006.
- Click or copy the event url into a web browser: https://app2.sli.do/event/jhi65isb.
Poster Presentations | Guidelines
We are excited to host ~ 70 poster presentations. As a reminder, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Maximum size is 4' x 3' (do not feel obliged to print at this size if you have enough space on a smaller poster).
- Participants are encouraged to repurpose a poster from a previous conference, if they have one, rather than create a new one.
- The symposium is designed to spark conversation between disciplines, so try to ensure that your poster does not just speak to specialists in your field but also invites discussions with potential collaborators.
- Poster setup will take place the morning of the Symposium, from 8:00 – 9:00am, on Friday, March 22. When you check-in, you will be given a poster number, and set-up details.